Wednesday, July 8, 2009

ACS RELAY FOR LIFE!

First of all, thanks to all those of you who contributed to this event! For those of you who don't know The American Cancer Society (Salt Lake City Chapter) held their annual Relay for Life event in June. I am so late posting this because I left my camera at my in-laws. Sorry! We were able to raise money before hand by holding garage sells, collecting donations, selling luminary bags, and donating baskets for the auction. Since we were team M&M we decided to sell bags of M&M's at the relay. Excellent idea Jamie! They flew out of there! Our team raised over $1300 for ACS!!!! The relay was an exciting event! We set up a few tents. Jean and Jeff brought their trailer. They had bounce toys for the kids, people set up booths to sell their goods and food. There was a stage with a band and karaoke. They started the night off with a survivor dinner. My mom and Lori who are both cancer survivors went. Jeff A. couldn't get off work in time to go. Then they did a victory walk. After this, the caretakers walked. This lap was kinda hard, but we did it. Then our time started. We had to have people walking continuously from this point on. We had Kimi's family and ours taking turns. There were about 70 of us on the team. The Melton's made up about 55 on the team. As the evening grew later the storm grew stronger. The lightening and thunder came closer. We were determined though! Cancer never stops and neither were we! We were watching the slide presentation of all those who lost their battle to cancer and the lightening was just over our head. It was getting pretty dangerous. The leaders were trying to make some decisions about or safety. They postponed the walking for a little bit. We all had to go to a safe place for a little bit. Then the walking continued. It was a fantastic event!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very cool. I don't think I knew that your mom was a cancer survivor. Did you see the luminary bags from me? I love the picture of Kael and Porter. Who are Porter's parents?

jodi kay said...

Porter belongs to Joel and Lori. He is so funny! Little mini Joel. I didn't get to see your bags. Dang it. There were tons and tons. We only came across those cause they were right next to eachother right by our tent. I'm sorry!

Jamie said...

That was a fun and very emotional night. Between not sleeping and watching those cancer survivors and care-takers walk till they could not walk any more. Too much for my little heart! Thanks again to all those who donated. Cousin Judy and Amy, thanks for the on-line donations. :) Jill

{sara} said...

What an amazing experience. I, too, didn't know your mom & Lori were cancer survivors!

Joy :) said...

Jeff is a cancer surviver too! He just didn't make it in time for the dinner and walk. It was a very emotional night. It still is just to see the pictures. You really captured that, Jodi. Thanks. I stole a few pix to put on my blog for a couple people who wouldn't otherwise be able to see these. I hope you don't mind.

jodi kay said...

Jeff A, Jeff M, and Lori are all Basil Cell Carcinoma survivors.

jayni & ben said...

Too bad it rained that night. I was excited to get my party on. Love all you guys. You are all soooo supportive. I LOVE IT!!

Jamie said...

Thanks for posting those pictures. I am so glad we had so much support:)

Nat said...

I want to be a part of this. Maybe next yr. What a great experiance for the whole family! My brother died of Cancer when he was 9 and I was 5.

Nat said...

Forgot to ask, What do your shirts say?

jodi kay said...

Natalie, on the front is a picture of my parent's when they were young.It says M15. Stands for Melton 15. My parents and 13 kids. Then on the back lists the children and their spouses. The grandkids and spouses. Then great-grandkids. It's our second shirt we made. A fun tradition we started.

Kelly said...

WOW! So impressive! Looks like your family really made a great contribution! So awesome!!!